Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Thai Weekend

At the end of last year, a trip to Thailand, a wonderfully wacky Thai cooking class, and the insatiable desire for all things sweet, sour, spicy inspired my cooking adventure! (and thus, the start of this blog)
And so, with the beginning of the newyear, I decided to put my new interest to action! It started w/ a weekend dinner with some friends of some first-run, first time, popular Thai dishes.


First, we started w/ some yum yum salads and tom yum soup:
(appearing from the left: som ta - papaya salad, tom yum goong soup, green mango salad)



The next course consisted of the usual: rice, the so-famous green curry chicken:



However, the piece de resistance was by my hubby: (medium beef steak marinated and drizzled over w/ penang curry)

We only got a picture of it while it was marinading, unfortunately... But when it was sliced and being eaten, it was really a thing of beauty! The meat was so tender, it only needed a regular table knife to cut through!


We also got some action with the lovely morning glory (this is my favorite dish, but the actual morning glory - water spinach - is hard to come by)


By the end of it, we were much too tired to cook up a dessert, but luckily a friend brought some lovely personalised cookies.

Overall, it was a really lovely, very successful evening. We even ended up playing hours of games afterwards!!!!

I must admit, when I first thought of this blog, it was to be more of relating my view of the world, how I see life to the foods and flavors I experience... but posting all these pictures have taken such a wonderfully long time, I'm absolutely exhausted.

I will say though.... in our cooking class, the Chef told us that there was one simple, basic foundation to Thai cooking. That is, every dish must be comprised of three tastes, the three S's: Sweet, Salty and Sour.
And in the same way, for a fulfilling life, you need a little bit of all those.... and perhaps some Spice for a little kick.

No comments: